Before now poetry has taken notice
Of wars, and what are wars but politics
Transformed from chronic to acute and bloody?
from "Build Soil"
Robert Frost

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Blogging Happiness:

I've noticed a serious lack of quality blog material coming out of Iraq/Afghanistan lately, so today I went looking for new authors. I found one who just got to country, and I think he's gonna be good. One of the first posts is on how to write a Dear John letter/myspace message/email/etc:

Dear (insert rank and name here):

Hi. I know it’s been a while since I’ve written. I’ve gotten all your letters … it’s just hard, you know? With you in (insert foreign nation here) fighting in (insert war from American history here), it’s not like things back home have been easy. Or simple. I don’t really know how to say this, so I’m just going to tell you like it is: I’ve met someone else. His name is Jody. I swear to God, I wasn’t looking for anything like this to happen – it just did and now we’re in love.

I know you have to hate me. I promised that this would never happen to us, but it did. Life’s funny like that, isn’t it? While you’re half a world away, getting shot at for a living by (insert enemy here), protecting freedom, justice, and the American way of life, I’m discovering my inner concubine, getting penetrated by Jody’s inferior geothermal thunderstick on a nightly basis. But he’s a far better cuddler than you ever were, he flatters me every morning, and he communicates with me! Imagine that, you insensitive prick.

What else needs to be said? You’re probably going to go crazy now, so you should recommend to your C.O. to take away your weapon for a couple of days. Suck it up, tough guy – remember, like you always told your friends, you can’t make a ho a housewife.

From your former dream forsaking you to a lifetime of what ifs,

(Insert every horribly negative term for a female here)

P.S. I’m keeping the dog.


I will confess to some confusion on the actual (as opposed to metaphorical) meaning of "geothermal thunderstick".

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/1/08 18:00

    This is riotous. I dated a sailor who posted letters from his indignant "finacees" in his cabin for his shipmates to read.

    I think the lesson here is...better cuddlers at home win. Except for true love, and that always PREVAILS. imho

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/1/08 19:40

    sad but true

    fact of deployment life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3/1/08 19:43

    Ever hear of a guy sending his girlfriend a "dear mary" letter when she was deployed?

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the kind words and the link. best of luck to you and yours

    ReplyDelete
  5. It goes both ways. I got dumped out of the blue over instant messenger by my boyfriend who was deployed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've linked to you here: http://consul-at-arms.blogspot.com/2008/01/re-blogging-happiness.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've noticed a serious lack of quality blog material coming out of Iraq/Afghanistan lately

    Geez TD, tell us how you really feel! Haha, I guess things have gotten less boots on ground more political, but c'mon, it's an election year. Thanks for the link to this blog, I like this guy's style.

    ReplyDelete