Before now poetry has taken notice
Of wars, and what are wars but politics
Transformed from chronic to acute and bloody?
from "Build Soil"
Robert Frost

Friday, March 09, 2007

Yep, Still Alive

I'm on the "weekend" back in Ramadi, doing vehicle maintenance and sleeping a lot. I'm away from my computer and consistent internet here. My apologies for the lack of posting. I'll be writing some more in a few days.

There's an interview with me up on VAJoe.com. Keep on the lookout for a upcoming interview with BLACKFIVE, as well.

It turns out that I'm not the only writer in the family. My brother wrote a sonnet for his high school English class, and gave me permission to repost it here.

Here is a story from distant shores
Across the sea of frothing foam
Veiled by Heaven’s glittering dome
A silent city with broken doors
Sleeping women on the floors
In the deserts which nomads roam
Sleep the soldiers, so far from home
In their haven, safe from war
They are soldiers, behind the gate
Soldiers laugh, soldiers cry
Soldiers fight to make them free
Soldiers love, and soldiers hate
Soldiers live, and soldiers die
Far, far away, across the sea.

12 comments:

  1. Good Saturday morning Teflon Don,
    Glad all is well with you. Interesting interview, and happy upcoming birthday !
    Your brother wrote a nice poem. Clearly you are loved by family, and admired, respected and enjoyed by your cyber-friends for what you are doing on your tour of duty as well !
    Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing must be in the genes TD, its a family tradition. Kick back when you can, stay safe, off to read the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, two of you! very nice. be safe my friend...

    smiles, bee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10/3/07 21:49

    A talented family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Those would be powerful words for any writer. It amazes that he's still in high school, and I hope he keeps writing because if he's this good now, he'll be unbelievable in a few years!

    You're obviously a good role model, TD. :-)

    --Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11/3/07 08:20

    Probably like most of your readers, I "thought the worst" when you hadn't blogged for a while. No disrespect intended, but try not to do that again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11/3/07 09:08

    Keep on rodeoing, cowboy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11/3/07 11:24

    It's amazing the things that happens when one stops playing WoW, is it not? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, a sonnet - I'm impressed. I did not know high school kids read much less wrote too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12/3/07 11:33

    That's a High School writing assignment? Impressive gifts in your family, clearly. Thank your brother for sharing it with the cyberworld.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous13/3/07 21:26

    TD, you (and now your brother) give me hope for the future of this country and indeed of the world.

    ReplyDelete